At the Y, children become safe and confident in the water, learning to swim in a positive, fun manner that builds lifelong skills. Research shows formal swimming lessons can reduce the risk of drowning by 88% among children ages 1-4 years. We offer a wide range of options for the whole family with classes beginning at 6 months of age. Classes are offered year-round.
Don’t wait…get your child involved in swim lessons today!
|Winter Session 1: February 8th – 27th
Registration Opens – January 4th
|Winter Session 2: TBD
Registration Opens – TBD
- If you are already a Full Y Member and pay a monthly rate, you will pay the “Member” rate for our swim lesson program. If you are not currently a Full Y Member, and don’t plan on using our facility outside of our programs, you must become a Program Member. This is an annual rate.
- The YMCA does not offer make-up classes unless there is a conflict with the pool schedule or weather cancellations. Check out our weather cancellation policy. Weather Related Cancellation Policy
- If classes are cancelled by the YMCA, a make-up will be scheduled as determined by the Aquatics Program Director
- You can register online here or by calling our Welcome Desk at 319-233-3531
Swim Starters (Parent/Child)
Accompanied by a parent – infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills through fun and confidence-building experiences, while parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision.
Ages: 6 months – 3 years
Duration: 30 minute classes.
Swim Basics | Levels 1-3
Recommended Skills for All to Have Around Water. Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills:
- Swim, float, swim — sequencing front glide, roll, back float, roll, front glide, and exit
- Jump, push, turn, grab
Preschool: Ages 3-5 years
School Age: Ages 5-14 years
Duration: Preschool 30 minute classes. School Age 40 minute classes.
Swim Strokes | Levels 4-6
Skills to Support a Healthy Lifestyle. Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
Preschool Ages 3-5 years
School Age: Ages 5-14 years
Don’t know what level is right for you? Checkout our lesson selector and questionnaire here: Swim Lesson Stage Selector
Private | Semi-private Lessons
Personalized instruction for any age. Complete the Private Swim Lesson registration request form at our Welcome Center and the Aquatics Director will contact you to register once an instructor has been assigned. Payment must be received at the time of registration. Registration includes 4, 6, 8, or 10 – 30 minute classes taught by one of our Y-USA trained swim instructors. Private lessons are assigned based on instructor availability. Participants may be added to a waiting list while an instructor is being assigned to them. *Cancellations or rescheduling must be made four hours prior to the start of the lesson or participants will be charged for that lesson.
4 Private Lessons
- Member | $80.00
- Program Member & Non-Member | $110.00
6 Private Lessons
- Member | $114.00
- Program Member & Non-Member | $156.00
8 Private Lessons
- Member | $144.00
- Program Member & Non-Member | $200.00
10 Private Lessons
- Member | 170.00
- Program Member & non-Member | 240.00
Semi-Private Lessons(2-3 immediate family members)
Semi-private swimming lessons must include two or three friends or family members. If two children of different families wish to take private lessons together, they must both pay the normal private lesson fee.
4 Semi-Private Lessons
- Member | $130.00
- Program Member & Non-Member | $160.00
6 Semi-Private Lessons
- Member | $186.00
- Program Member & Non-Member | $234.00
8 Semi-Private Lessons
- Member | $232.00
- Program Member & Non-Member | $304.00
10 Semi-Private Lessons
- Member | $280.00
- Program Member & Non-Member | $370.00
If you are interested in private swim lessons, please fill out a request form and drop it off at our welcome desk or email to our aquatics director at email@example.com. Private Swim Lesson Request Form