Celebrating 150 Years in the Cedar Valley
Today, the Y engages more than 10,000 neighborhoods across the U.S. As the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to helping people and communities to learn, grow and thrive, our contributions are both far-reaching and intimate-from influencing our nation’s culture during times of profound social change to the individual support we provide an adult learning to read.
By nurturing the potential of every child and teen, improving the nation’s health and well-being, and supporting and serving our neighbors, the Y ensures that everyone has the opportunity to become healthier, more confident, connected and secure.
Family YMCA of Black Hawk County
The Family YMCA of Black Hawk County is excited to celebrate 150 years in the Cedar Valley. To recap, here is our local Y history:
- 1868: the Waterloo YMCA and the City of Waterloo were both founded.
- 1897: the YMCA purchased a lot in downtown Waterloo and opened the new facility in 1898.
- 1931: The YMCA began a fundraising program to construct a new downtown facility. Later that year, the new facility opened.
- 1974: The Cedar Falls and Waterloo YMCA’s joined to form the Family YMCA of Black Hawk County.
- 1982: The facility that we are currently in, opened up to the public.
Come celebrate 150 years of Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility with us.
Questions? Call our Welcome Desk at 319.233.3531