Blood Pressure Self Monitoring Program
According to the American Heart Association, nearly 80 million adults have high blood pressure in this country. Less than half have it under control. It is often referred to as “The Silent Killer” because there are typically no warning signs or symptoms.
The Y-USA evidence-based, self monitoring program aims to help participants better manage their blood pressure. Our Y will be launching this program on Monday, September 25. On September 21 from 6-10 am, blood pressure screenings will be held at our Waterloo and Grundy locations.
- Healthy Heart Ambassadors: Certified Healthy Heart Ambassadors will train you on the proper technique for taking your own blood pressure readings accurately, will assist you in identifying trends and patterns in your readings over time , and will provide ongoing support as you work to make blood pressure self-monitoring a habit.
- Office Hour Consultations: Healthy Heart Ambassadors are available each week for one-on-one 10-minute consultations to support you as you continue to better manage your blood pressure. You’ll be asked to attend at least two consultations a month, but you will be welcome any time a Healthy Heart Ambassador is on-duty. To ensure you feel supported throughout the program, you will also receive weekly emails, calls or text messages from a Healthy Heart Ambassador.
- Nutrition Education Seminars: Seminars will highlight how food is related to blood pressure management and will provide you with the knowledge and skills to make heart-healthy choices. Seminar topics include reducing sodium intake and heart healthy eating. Each 60-minute seminar will also offer an opportunity for you to take your own blood pressure with coaching on proper technique from an on-site Healthy Heart Ambassador.
How the Program Works:
Participants will work with trained Healthy Heart Ambassadors for the duration of the four-month program. Just a few check-ins per month can yield big results. You will:
- Take your own blood pressure at least two times per month
- Attend two consultations with a YMCA Healthy Heart Ambassador per month – no appointment necessary
- Attend monthly nutrition education
You will record your blood pressure readings using an easy-to-use tracking tool of your own choosing. The Y can provide options
for participants who need a home blood pressure monitor.
For a small investment, participants will receive:
- An evidence-based program that may lower blood pressure
- Personalized support from a Healthy Heart Ambassador during Office Hour consultations
- Tips for maintaining cardiovascular health
- Heart healthy nutrition education
- Easy-to-use, portable self-tracking tool
To qualify, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be diagnosed with high blood pressure
- Not have experienced a recent cardiac event
- Not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
- Not be at risk for lymphedema
YMCA membership is not required to participate in the program.
- $40 if you don’t have a blood-pressure cuff
- $30 if you have your own blood-pressure cuff
Questions? Contact Malinda Gudgeon, Wellness & Membership Director, email@example.com